Tuesday 9 February 2010

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker: record age for UK

This adult female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos minor was caught at Beale Park, near Reading, Berkshire, UK by the River Thames on the 6th February 2010 during a ringing session. The bird was found to already have a ring and when checked it was discovered to have been ringed at the same site in September 2003. For a small bird this seemed to be a very good age and it was later confirmed that this was the oldest know Lesser Spotted Woodpecker for the UK, at 6 years 4 months and 8 days. Thanks to Danny Alder for this snippet and to David Baker for the photograph.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I have discovered that we have a LSW on our private housing estate in Croydon (would you believe it). He's lovely, very noisy but I don't mind at all. I'm honoured he has choosen our environment. He drums on our lamp post so his call is even louder. Our neighbour does not like him at all and started cutting and sawing branches from our trees as they hang over his garden. I told him to stop due to the nesting of LSW. He didn't care and continued. I reported him to the RSPB and they advised this is a wild life crime, as the LSW is on the RSPB red list. I have advised the police, but known one has come. Even after this distrubance the LSW is back thank god. I'm afraid if this neighbour continues to cut the trees it will put him off and he will not nest this year. Any advice would be helpful.

syshed said...

read review buy replica bags online Learn More Here 7a replica bags wholesale check my site Dolabuy YSL